Sunday, September 26, 2010

Breakfast Pizza

We love to have "fun breakfast" on Sunday mornings. Our usuals include egg mcmuffins, stuffed crepes, German pancakes, or coffee cake. Every once and a while, we do something really fun. What could be more fun than pizza for breakfast? This recipe is so far off from the original I found I don't remember where, so I don't feel bad claiming credit for it.;) I'm sure you could use a refrigerated pizza crust if you like, but I don't, so I included my favorite pizza crust recipe as well. Enjoy!

Crust:
2 1/2 c flour
2 3/4 tsp yeast (about 1 packet)
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
3 T olive oil
1 c. very warm water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix 1 cup flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and oil with wire whisk for about a minute. Add remaining flour until dough leaves sides of bowl. Knead for 5 minutes until nice and springy. Allow to sit for 30 minutes, then shape on pie plate or baking stone. If you like extra thick crust, let it rise for about 30 minutes before you bake it. I bake for 17 minutes before I add the toppings.

Toppings:
10 eggs, scrambled the way you like them
1 lb. cooked breakfast sausage (I used Honeysuckle turkey breakfast sausage, it was delish)
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled (I used turkey bacon too. My kids like it better.)
1 packet country gravy, prepared with a little less liquid to make it nice and thick
grated colby jack to taste

When crust is mostly cooked (starting to brown on top) remove from oven and sauce with the country gravy. Top with eggs, sausage, bacon, and grated cheese. Return to oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is nice and melty. Then cut and enjoy!

1 comment:

Maria said...

This looks delicious!!