Monday, November 10, 2008

Wheat Bread

In large glass measuring cup or bowl, let the following ingredients proof for about 10 minutes until yeast is activated well.

1 tsp sugar
2 Tbs yeast
5 cups warm water

Be careful not to get the water too hot or the yeast will die, too cold and it won't activate. Generally accepted temperature I think is somewhere between 80 and 98 degrees. Take that for what it's worth.;) In the meantime, in large mixing bowl combine the following dry ingredients.

1/2 cup wheat gluten
1/2 cup milled flax (you can use wheat bran instead if you like. I just like the flax better.)
2 cups dry oats of any kind (old fashioned and quick oats work equally well)
2 cups wheat flour
1 cup white flour

Mix in the yeast mixture and stir well. Then add:

1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 Tbs salt
1/2 cup honey (you can use granulated sugar instead, just add it with the dry ingredients above)

Stir well. Add 5-6 cups white flour until dough is firm but still fairly sticky. Let raise one hour and punch down. Let raise another hour, then punch down and form four loaves. Let the loaves raise to however big you want them, then cook at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

A tip: it stays moister in the freezer if you cook for the lower end of the time. It has more of a soft, store bread consistency and the crust doesn't tend to get as hard. I will tell you also that I've worked with this recipe at least every other week for over a year now, and the flax and the honey combination is really what makes it hold up in our freezer the best. That may not work for you, but it does for us. I greatly encourage experimentation. If you run into problems, leave me a comment and I'll see if I have any bread making wisdom to share.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I have been meaning to try this recipe for a while now . . . . reading it again - it doesn't seem to hard!! I am off to buy flax and gluten. Wish me luck.

http://whatsreallyfordinner.blogspot.com